WE HAVE CLOSED OUR HIRING FOR THE 2020 SEASON.
We will open applications in November 2020 for a February 2021 start time.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization that uses its organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Eastern Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. Our mission is to inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land, and legacy. We are seeking an energetic, responsible team player to fill our Journeyman Farmer position.
Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
- Training and experience working on a farm at an educational non-profit
- Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals
- Professional Development – Attendance at EcoFarm and visits to local farms
- Weekly Educational Workshops (excluding June-August) focused on sustainable systems, education, and non-profit leadership
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no major infractions). Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
At least one year of production experience in organic agriculture and supervision experience, preferably in a teaching role. Strong customer service skills, computer literacy, and some business and marketing experience
The Journeyman Farmer will work in conjunction with the Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager on field and greenhouse production to provide for the Community Supported Agriculture program, the local food bank, and the farmer’s market. Responsibilities will focus on training and supervising first year interns and volunteers and staffing the farmer’s market stand (May-September). This is a higher-level internship position that provides a supportive environment within which new farmers can gain the skills needed to operate independently.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday (9-5 minimum) with seasonal extended hours.
- Work with the Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager to maintain production of vegetables, flowers and fruits of sufficient quantity and duration to support the needs of the CSA, local food bank, and Farmer's Markets
- Supervise agriculture interns and volunteers in day-to-day work on the farm
- Manage registration of CSA and ongoing communication with CSA share members
- Manage Los Altos Farmers Market stall with Animal Husbandry Intern: Thursdays 4pm-8pm, May-Sept.
- Communicate with diverse stakeholders in the use of the fields for education programs
- Develop understanding of basic ranch maintenance tasks and repairs, including maintaining farm equipment and irrigation systems with support of the Farm Manager
- Participate in Hidden Villa meetings, programs, and events
Terms of Employment
This position is a full-time, residential position. The stipend of $750/month is provided in addition to the following benefits: single cabin housing, seasonal produce, meat & dairy products from the farm when available, holiday time, vacation and sick leave. This position also receives 25% of produce profits from weekly Farmer's Markets under their supervision. Although it is the responsibility of the intern to obtain health insurance, we do offer resources that will help you navigate the process. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.