APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization with a mission is “to inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land, and legacy.” Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Eastern Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
The Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. We are seeking an energetic, responsible team player to fill our Animal Husbandry Internship position. The internship runs from April 1, 2020 until the March 31, 2021.
The Animal Husbandry Intern works under the supervision of the Animal Husbandry Management team. The intern will learn through participation in all aspects of livestock management - breeding, nutritional management, health maintenance, facilities maintenance, slaughter, processing, and direct market sales. The intern will also participate in the execution of Hidden Villa’s Food For Thought initiative, supporting with event planning and implementation, developing educational programming and materials, and participation in food system conversations in and outside of Hidden Villa.
Working Hours: Thursday through Monday 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM with some extended hours required.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES & SKILL DEVELOPMENT
- Participate in all aspects of livestock care and daily chores: feeding, milking, cleaning, etc.
- Manage Los Altos Farmers Market stall with Journeyman Farmer: Thursdays 4pm-8pm, May-Sept.
- Assist with sales and marketing across several platforms: on site, online store, email campaigns
- Participate in full-day, weekly, educational workshops (excluding June-August) covering a wide range of topics within sustainable food systems, education, and leadership
- Develop understanding of basic ranch maintenance tasks and repairs, including basic plumbing, electric fence maintenance and tractor work using a variety of hand and power tools
- Observe cross departmental collaboration and assist in developing and supporting program activity
- Participate in Hidden Villa’s work to develop and empower active, informed food system participants through the Food For Thought initiative
- Build understanding of food system from the lens of a non-profit partner
As a participant in this program you will gain:
- Hands-on training on a farm at an educational non-profit
- Weekly Educational Workshops (excluding June-August) focused on sustainable systems, education, and leadership
- Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals
- Professional Development – Attendance at workshops or conferences and visits to local farms
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no major infractions). Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
We desire a candidate with basic knowledge of/experience with sustainable agriculture and farm production/management. Candidates must be self-starters with the ability to work independently, outdoors, and in physically demanding situations. A basic understanding of construction, power-tool usage, and utilities (water/electric) is preferred. Experiential teaching experience and the ability to work with a diverse group of children and adults is also desired.
Terms of Employment
This position is a full-time, year-long, residential, exempt position. A stipend of $850/month is provided. Benefits include: professional development, housing, seasonal produce, meat and dairy products from the farm when available, vacation and sick days. No medical, dental or vision benefits are provided, so obtaining coverage is the responsibility of the intern. Although it is the responsibility of the intern to obtain health insurance, we do offer resources that will help you navigate the process. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.