APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization with a mission to inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land, and legacy. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. The Community Programs Department is seeking three energetic, responsible team players to educate the public within our program offerings to being August 31, 2020 until May 28, 2021.
Residential Interns are accountable for organizational and residential responsibilities that are supervised by the function of the Program Manager. Communal living responsibilities include weekly household chores and a mandatory house meeting. Working hours within the program area are Thursday to Monday with some evening and extended hours. The Community Programs Intern works directly under the supervision of the Community Programs Manager.
Afternoon Adventures (40%)
- Develop curriculum for and lead weekly farm and nature programs, for our After School and/or Homeschool Programs, for groups of 10 children.
- Support After School Adventures environmental education evaluation efforts.
- Collaborate with fellow teachers, managers, coordinators and parents to create a positive, inclusive environment for students.
Weekend Programming (20%)
- Develop and teach hands-on programs for young children, adults, and families that connect them to food systems, the natural world around them, and one another. Example of offerings- https://www.hiddenvilla.org/calendar/individuals-families/region-HV/
- Leading Farm Tours for casual visitors
- Assist in event planning and facilitation.
Adnistrative Tasks (20%)
- Complete administrative tasks such as daily deposits, creating marketing materials, and general program support.
Visitor and Volunteer Engagement (20%)
- Serve as the greeter to casual visitors on weekends at our welcome kiosk
- Learn and provide accurate information about our non-profit and farm operations, trail system, and history to guests
- Check-in with and prepare weekend volunteers for their shift with necessary information and resources
Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
- Training and experience working at an educational non-profit
- Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals
- Professional Development budget
- Weekly Educational Workshops focused on sustainable systems, education, and leadership
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR COMMUNITY PROGRAMS INTERNS
- Skill development in behavior and group management
- Experience in lesson planning and curriculum development
- Enhanced skills in customer service and volunteer engagement
- Participation in event planning and marketing strategies
- Exposure to diverse educational models and pedagogies
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no major infractions). Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
Experience working with children or in education (formal or informal). Excellent communication skills and the ability to accept constructive feedback and guidance. Experience or skills in any of the following: working with diverse populations and language learners, natural history/ecology, gardens, volunteers, wilderness experiences, and creative expression through music/art. A genuine interest and desire to contribute to the world in a positive way and a curiosity about how this is done within an organization.
Terms of Employment
This position is a full-time, 9 month, residential, exempt position. A stipend of $850/month is provided. Benefits include: professional development, housing, vacation and sick days, and some seasonal produce and dairy products from the farm when available. Although it is the responsibility of the intern to obtain health insurance, we do offer resources that will help you navigate the process. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.