APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization whose mission is to foster educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. We are seeking an energetic and responsible team player to fill our School Garden and Education Internship. This program begins January 18, 2022 and ends May 23, 2022.
INTENDED OUTCOMES FOR SCHOOL GARDEN AND EDUCATION INTERNS
- Skill development in behavior and group management
- Experience in lesson planning and curriculum development
- Enhanced skills in customer service and volunteer engagement
- Participation in event planning and marketing strategies
- Exposure to diverse educational models and pedagogies
- Increased confidence, competence, and employability as an educator
- Familiarity with flora, fauna and general ecology of the Santa Cruz Mountains
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Ability to lift 40 lbs. Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no major infractions). Submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check. Required Covid vaccination and TB test.
Experience working with children or in education (formal or informal). Excellent communication skills and the ability to accept constructive feedback and guidance. Experience or skills in any of the following: working with diverse populations and language learners, natural history/ecology, gardens, volunteers, wilderness experiences, and creative expression through music/art. A genuine interest and desire to contribute to the world in a positive way and a curiosity about how this is done within an organization.
Residential Interns are accountable for organizational and residential responsibilities that are supervised by the function of the Program Manager. Communal living responsibilities include weekly household chores and a mandatory house meeting. Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
The School Garden and Education Intern will spend 2 days a week at Redwood High School in Redwood City, serving as gardeners and garden educators and creating content in programs such as culinary arts, environmental science and biology with the support of Redwood High School teachers. Redwood High School is a small alternative school that serves high school juniors and seniors who would prefer a smaller learning environment and may need help recovering credits. All students are here by choice, and all are focused on graduating and moving onto college or the trades. The School Garden and Education Intern will also spend 2 days a week leading Hidden Villa programs on-site for TK-12th grade students.
- Lead Hidden Villa Education Programs on-site for TK-12th graders.
- Collaborate with fellow interns, teachers, managers, coordinators, volunteers, and parents to create a positive, inclusive environment for our participants
- Collaborate with teachers and administrators at Redwood High School to create outdoor content that supports student learning
- Redwood High School garden maintenance, including tool maintenance, developing daily systems of use, weeding, harvesting, building and general improvements and planning
- Support program evaluation efforts to track impact
- Participate in Hidden Villa meetings, community programs, and donor events
- Assist with administrative tasks such as program planning, marketing/outreach, and other tasks as needed
- Assist with animal and farm chores weekly
What Hidden Villa Can Offer the Candidate
This unpaid internship is a full-time, 4.5-month, residential program. A stipend of $1050/month is provided in addition to on-site housing. This Internship follows a Monday-Friday schedule. The internship runs about 8 hours each day and start and end times vary slightly from day to day. There are occasional evening and weekend experiences throughout the internship. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and your current resume to [email protected]with the subject line School Garden and Education Intern - YOUR NAME. Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650) 949-6327. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and hope to conduct interviews the week of December 13th and again in early January.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all who come to work, intern and volunteer.