APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization whose mission is to foster educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. We are seeking an energetic and responsible team player to fill our Education internship. This program begins September 1, 2021 and ends May 20, 2022.
Learn from an innovative nonprofit organization as our Communications Intern! You will be supervised by our Communications Director and learn from our Development Teams depth and breadth of knowledge. Engage with the Hidden Villa community and our thousands of members across multiple platforms, Learn and grow with our dedicated teams throughout the internship.
Social Media Content ~ 8 hrs/ week
- Assist in creating, scheduling and preparing posts on Hidden Villa’s Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Assist in coordinating posts through all departments.
- Anticipate upcoming events and celebrations to aid in planning for relevant and current content.
Monthly Online Newsletter ~ 8 hrs/ week
- Assist the Director of Communications in coordinating the newsletter strategy in collaboration with the communications committee.
- Assist in creating, writing, and curating content for the monthly newsletter.
- Assist in creating the newsletter for an online marketing platform.
Learn and Experience Hidden Villa ~ 8 hrs/ week
- Regularly participate in all program areas (HVEEP, Youth Development, and Community Programs) to capture and demonstrate hands-on learning experiences by program participants.
- Regularly assist the Animal Husbandry and Community Supported Agriculture programs to become more familiar with the rhythms of a regenerative agriculture farm.
- In collaboration with each program area manager, develop content to share with our social media and newsletter communities.
- Collaborate with fellow interns, managers, coordinators, and volunteers to create a positive, inclusive environment.
- Participate in Hidden Villa meetings, community programs, and donor events
- Assist with administrative tasks such as event planning and other tasks as needed
Creative Media Content Development ~ 4 hrs/ week
- Assist with designing flyers, graphics, and other marketing material for events and programs hosted by Hidden Villa.
- Help curate and add to our media library.
- Film, create, and edit new video content to support our communications and fundraising strategies.
Assist Website Content Updates~ 4 hrs/ week
- Assist in updating website pages as needed.
- Assist in web content development.
- Coordinate and assist in posting events on our website.
Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
- Training and experience in best practices in the field of non-profit communications
- Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals
- Professional Development – Opportunity to attend conferences, workshops and webinars
- Weekly Educational Workshops
Learning Outcomes for Communications Intern
- Increase skills and experience in coordinating a communications strategy for a nonprofit organization
- Participate and engage in learning about sustainable agriculture and environmental education; experience in communicating those learning experiences with targeted audiences through communications channels.
- Increase skills and experience in creating video content to share in fundraising campaigns.
- Experience in creating and implementing content for social media channels.
- Experience in assisting with the coordination and content development for a monthly newsletter.
- Increase skills and experience in creating accessible content
- Enhanced skills in web design and content development.
- Participation in event planning and marketing strategies
- Increased confidence, competence, and employability in communications and marketing.
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
Participants must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Ability to lift 40 lbs. Valid driver's license and clean driving record with no major infractions. Submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
- Interest in social media marketing and content creation on a professional level.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suites. Familiarity with video editing software is a plus!
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills required.
- Organized, self-motivated, and flexible.
- Attention to detail and ability to participate in multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on multi-step, detail-oriented projects in a fluid environment.
- Demonstrated interest and desire to contribute to the world in a positive way and a curiosity about how this is done within an organization.
- Basic knowledge of social media scheduling platforms and WordPress is a plus.
What Hidden Villa Can Offer the Candidate
This unpaid internship is a full-time, 9-month, residential program. A stipend of $750/month is provided in addition to on-site housing. Interns follow a Monday - Friday schedule. The program runs about 8 hours each day and start and end times vary slightly from day to day. There are occasional evening and weekend experiences throughout the internship. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and your current resume to [email protected] with the subject line Communications Intern - YOUR NAME. Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650) 949-6327. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and hope to conduct interviews in mid-July.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all who come to work, intern, and volunteer.