APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED IN FEBRUARY 2020.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization with a mission to foster educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. The Development Department is seeking an energetic, responsible team player to fill our Development Internship position beginning September 4, 2019 and ending May 29, 2020.
The Development Intern works under the supervision of the Director of Strategic Communications. The Development & Communications team generates 50% of the funds needed to operate Hidden Villa through contributed revenue. This internship will impart a solid, working understanding of nonprofit communications and its role in fundraising. The development intern will support the communications team on the day-to-day management and growth of Hidden Villa’s social media and communications presence across numerous channels, engagement in alignment with a uniform organizational voice, communication strategies, and segmented audience objectives. This internship will also have opportunities to support donor cultivation/ engagement strategies to provide first-hand experience in nonprofit development and fundraising. This includes support in gift processing, accurate data entry, and the time production of donor acknowledgment letters. The development intern will have the opportunity to live, work and learn at an established nonprofit education organization and to participate in classes and other opportunities with other Hidden Villa staff. Enrichment education opportunities are provided every Monday and build expertise in education, agriculture, and nonprofit leadership. Working Hours: Typically, Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm with some required weekends and evenings as needed.
- Work with the Director of Strategic Communications to create a campaign strategy.
- Plan, create, and schedule social media posts, and assist in crafting social media campaigns and tracking their success.
- Liaise with Hidden Villa department managers to create and implement a holistic organizational communications strategy.
- Participate on the Communications committee.
- Manage day-to-day social media content including content creation, scheduling and posting.
- Create engaging social media organic content.
- Monitor analytics and adjust the messaging accordingly.
- Conduct competitive analysis and find new ideas to promote content across new social media channels to build audience and drive engagement.
- Support in the production of email marketing and newsletters.
- Support the Development and Communication team in execution of communication strategy and donor cultivation.
- Supports the development team in providing accurate data entry for gifts, producing acknowledgements in a timely manner with accuracy.
Other areas of responsibility include
- Donor cultivation & stewardship (i.e. support in mailings, gift giving, etc.)
- Special event support and coordination (i.e. support in planning, logistics, and preparations)
- Engage in meetings and activities of the staff and Board of Hidden Villa
- Intern living and enrichment: Participate in communal living responsibilities with interns and attend select intern enrichments.
Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
- Training and experience in communications at an educational non-profit
- Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals
- Professional Development – Opportunity to attend professional training/ workshops and visits to local farms/nonprofits in the area
- Weekly Educational Workshops (excluding June-August) focused on sustainable systems, education, and leadership
Intended Learning Outcomes for the Development Internship
- Experience in the management and creation of social media content.
- Enhanced skills and refinement in creating original content based analytics and feedback.
- Participation in creating and implementing campaign strategies.
- Exposure to working on a holistic organizational communications strategy.
- Skill development in online marketing and newsletters.
- Experience in accurate and quality database management.
Completion of a four-year degree in Marketing, Communications, or commensurate work related experience. Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills in order to reflect the messaging Hidden Villa seeks to share with the public. Proven customer service skills. Self-starter with the ability to work independently with discernment. Able to work with a diverse group of individuals, including volunteers. Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
In-depth working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Knowledge of Email marketing automation platform. Experience with social media analytics, including Google Analytics and Facebook Insights. Analytical aptitude in tracking marketing performance. Ability to multi-task and effectively manage multiple projects at once. Proficiency with MS Office and Google Docs. Maturity, diplomacy, and tact to work with donors, Board members and the general public. A desire to learn and contribute to building a positive team atmosphere. A strong attention to details. Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no major infractions) strongly preferred.
Terms of Employment
This position is a full-time, 9-month , residential, exempt position. A stipend of $750/month is provided. Benefits include: professional development, housing, seasonal produce, meat and dairy products from the farm when available. 9 days of paid vacation per year in addition to any Hidden Villa holidays on Monday-Friday. Vacations requests are subject to manager approval. Although it is the responsibility of the intern to obtain health insurance, we do offer resources that will help you navigate the process. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.