APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization whose mission is “to inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land, and legacy.” Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. We are seeking an energetic and responsible team player to fill our Youth Development internship. This position begins with a Summer Camp component (June 1, 2020 - August 16, 2020) followed by an internship component (August 31, 2020 - May 28, 2021). Between August 16, 2020 and August 30, 2020 housing will not be provided.
The Youth Development intern participates as summer camp program staff, working with high school aged youth, before beginning their internship. During camp they work under the supervision of the Summer Camp Director. Starting in September, the Youth Development intern will transition to working as a part of our Youth Development team and a member of the incoming intern cohort. The Youth Development intern will develop teaching skills in program facilitation for grades 6-12 while positively impacting youth in Bay Area communities.
Summer Camp Component: June-August
- Serve as the LIT/CIT Coordinator: https://www.hiddenvilla.org/programs/catalog/325-summer-camp-lit-cit-coordinator/region-HV/
- Identify and meet camper needs and carry out camp programs and responsibilities as outlined by the position accepted.
- Participate in leading or co-leading morning reflections and daily activities.
- Teach one-day programs for middle school and high school age youth, including classroom visits, that are culturally relevant and experientially engaging, on a variety of topics including nature exploration, regenerative agriculture, and teambuilding.
- Belay participants on the high ropes course and facilitate team-building initiatives.
- Assist with office organization, program planning, marketing/outreach, supporting annual events, and other tasks as needed.
Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
- Training and experience in best practices in the field of Experiential Education and Youth Development skills.
- Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals.
- Weekly Educational Workshops (Monday classes) focused on sustainable systems and education, and other professional opportunities
Experience engaging formally or informally with youth. Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States along with submission of fingerprints and a subsequent successful background check. Current CPR/First Aid or the willingness to obtain. Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, and flexibility.
Aim and ability to work with middle and high school age youth. Involvement in experiential education, summer camp or related fields. Excellent communication skills. The ability to work collaboratively on a team as well as efficiently lead independent projects or tasks. Experience with any of the following: farms and gardens, environmental science, diverse populations, music/art, wilderness, computers, or non-English languages. Valid driver's license with a clean driving record (no major infractions).
Terms of Employment
TERMS & BENEFITS
This position is a full-time, year-long, residential position made up of a 3-month camp job followed by a 9-month internship. During summer camp, from June through August, the intern’s stipend is $480/week. Outdoor accommodations are communal camping and meals are provided while camp is in session.
From September through May, the intern receives a stipend of $750 per month. Benefits September-May include: housing, seasonal produce, meat & dairy products from the farm when available, holiday time, vacation days, and sick leave. Work hours are Monday to Friday (8am-4pm) plus some evenings and weekend programs. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your cover letter and your current resume to email@example.com. Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650) 949-6327. We will be reviewing applications and hosting interviews on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We are hoping to fill the position by March 2020.