Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Adventure Activities Specialist. Hidden Villa is a non-profit, public benefit corporation with a 60-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
Position Title: Adventure Activities Specialist
Reports to: Adventure Activities Coordinator
Adventure Activity Specialists will facilitate the use of our challenge course, archery range, and animal chores and activities. Specialists will also coordinate the use and distribution of supplies and materials of these spaces. Additionally they will train staff and campers on the safe operation and use of the archery range, challenge course, and animal pens according to ACA best practices.
- Continuously provide programing in your assigned space that relates to Hidden Villa Summer Camp’s mission.
- Facilitate the operation of the challenge course, archery range, and animal-camper interactions.
- Ensure that all ACA regulations concerning program area are adhered to, including supervision ratios.
- Submit request for orders for any necessary equipment or supplies, ensuring timely arrival of materials.
- Write up activities and keep them in the Outdoor Activities Specialist google drive.
- Serve as a member of the camp community.
- Submit a written report at the conclusion of the summer evaluating the current season and making suggestions for the following season.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups of all ages and skills levels participating, and provide necessary instruction and communication of safety procedures to staff and campers.
- Ability to observe camper and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and implement activities to achieve camper development objectives.
- Live on site in a community with little privacy
- Documented experience with High and Low ropes course; belay experience required
- Additional experience with archery and farm animals preferred
- Ability to train staff on archery, and challenge course operation as well as animal safety protocols
- Ability to maintain records and necessary administrative tasks as they relate to the equipment
- Ability to work well with peers in a team environment with little supervision
- Desire and ability to work with youth in an outdoor setting
- Current CA Food Handler, WFR and CPR certifications preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record (no major infractions) required.
- At least 18 years of age
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to utilize youth work appropriate self-care techniques
- Desire to learn and grow
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Benefits: $485 per week + experience. Shared housing and meals provided.
Round 1 Deadline: February 7th
Round 2 Deadline: March 9th
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application here.
Login/Make an account
Click Make a Reservation