Hidden Villa Summer Camp develops young leaders who are committed to social and environmental justice and are equipped with a sense of awe for natural and human beauty, tools for non-violent, multicultural community building, as well as the confidence to make positive change in our families, communities, and world.
Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Lifeguard. Hidden Villa is a non-profit organization with a 60-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
About the Position
Position Title: Lifeguard
Reports to: Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
Full-Time/Part-Time: Part-Time, Seasonal
Lifeguard for all programs that swim. Conduct pool orientation and swim checks at the beginning of each session. Maintain a safe, healthy pool environment for all to enjoy. Spend evenings and time outside of the pool as a counselor with a camper group.
1. Lead a pool orientation and ‘swim check’ for each age group at the beginning of each session and at the beginning of the summer for the staff training and maintain records regarding these checks.
2. Ensure that all ACA regulations concerning the pool are adhered to, including pool supervision ratios.
3. Assume the responsibility for the safety and well-being of all campers while at the pool.
4. Be familiar with and prepared to implement emergency procedures.
5. Ensure that the pool is properly closed and all entrances are locked when the pool is not in use.
6. Observe counseling staff during pool activities and provide verbal feedback.
7. Inventory the pool equipment. Coordinate the ordering of any needed supplies and ensure their timely arrival.
8. Communicate pool maintenance and conditions to Maintenance Assistant and Management as appropriate.
9. Submit a written report at the conclusion of the summer evaluating the current season and making suggestions for the following season.
10. Provide camper supervision, mentorship and support.
11. These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
1. Ability to communicate safety regulations and pool procedures to campers and staff.
2. Ability to observe camper and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to emergency situations within the pool area.
4. Physical strength to perform rescues from the pool, and respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
● Current Lifeguard Certificate with Current CPR & First Aid or willingness to obtain
● Experience working as a lifeguard or a strong, comfortable swimmer
● CA State Food Handler certification; or willing to obtain
● At least 18 years of age
● Experience working with youth
● Ability to work well with peers in a team environment
● Ability to work with little supervision
● Excellent communication skills
● Flexibility and patience
● Ability to utilize youth work-appropriate self-care techniques
● Desire to learn and grow
Terms of Employment
Benefits: $590 weekly. Housing and Meals provided.
Duration: Contract starts June 5th and ends July 31st, 2023.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain and perform rescues from a pool. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Please fill out this form to apply.