Hidden Villa Summer Camp develops young leaders who are committed to social and environmental justice and are equipped with a sense of awe for natural and human beauty, tools for non-violent, multicultural community building, as well as the confidence to make positive change in our families, communities, and world.
Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Head Lifeguard. Hidden Villa is a non-profit organization with a 75-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
- General Information:
- 21+ yrs of age to apply (no exceptions)
- Must be available to work for the entire summer
- Will be required to wear mask/face covering while on duty
- Sleep outside, under the stars for the whole summer at Hidden Villa
- We will request all staff to receive COVID-19 testing throughout the summer (provided by Hidden Villa)
- We are unable to support J1-VISA international applicants this year (please check back in 2022)
- Must support our health and safety culture by practicing social distancing at camp
- Meals provided for the entire summer at Hidden Villa by Epicurean Group (includes weekends/time-off)
How to Apply
Login or create an account here and make a reservation.
Staff hired in 2020 or former camp staff (does not include CITs/LITs) should select the Returning Staff Application.
New applicants and former CITs/LITs (who have not worked a full season at camp) please select the New Staff Application.
About the Position
Position Title: Head Lifeguard
Reports to: Youth Development Manager
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Exempt
Responsible under the supervision of the Youth Development Manager for maintaining a safe, healthy pool environment for all to enjoy. Serve as the main lifeguard for all programs that swim. Conduct pool orientation and swim checks at the beginning of each session. Supervise counselor lifeguards and pool watchers. Maintain a safe, healthy pool environment for all to enjoy.
- Oversee all aspects of the pool- counselor lifeguards and pool watchers, free swim, evening programs, etc.
- Lead a pool orientation and “swim check” for each camper cohort at the beginning of each session and at the beginning of the summer for staff training and maintain records regarding these checks.
- Ensure that all ACA regulations concerning the program area are adhered to, including pool supervision ratios.
- Oversee scheduling of activities for each camp session and ensure sufficient staffing for each time block.
- Assume the responsibility for the safety and well being of all campers while at the pool.
- Be familiar with and prepared to implement emergency procedures.
- Ensure that the pool is properly closed and all entrances are locked when the pool is not in use.
- Observe counseling staff during pool activities and provide written feedback.
- Inventory the pool equipment. Coordinate the ordering of any needed supplies and ensure their timely arrival.
- Maintain program budget.
- Communicate pool maintenance and conditions to the Maintenance Assistant and Directors as appropriate.
- Submit a written report at the conclusion of the summer evaluating the current season and making suggestions for the following season.
- Support evening activities and other programs needs in the evening when the swimming pool is closed.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
- Ability to communicate and train staff and campers in safety regulations and pool procedures.
- Ability to observe camper and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to emergency situations within the pool area.
- Physical strength to perform rescues from the pool, and respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Current Lifeguard Certificate with Current CPR & First Aid/AED
- Aquatics Management/Supervision experience or certification or willingness to obtain
- Experience working as a lifeguard
- At least 21 years of age
- Experience working with youth
- Ability to work well with peers in a team environment
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to live onsite in a community with little privacy
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to utilize youth work appropriate self-care techniques
- Desire to learn and grow
Terms of Employment
Benefits: $540-560 per week + experience. Shared housing and meals provided.
Duration: Contract starts June 1st 2021 and ends August 10th 2021.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. This position will require the ability to perform rescues of adults and children as-needed from the camp swimming pool. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.