Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Day Camp Counselor. Hidden Villa is a non-profit, public benefit corporation with a 60-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
Position Title: Day Camp Counselor
Reports to: Day Camp Unit Leader, Day Camp Coordinator
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Exempt
Under the supervision of Day Camp Unit Leaders, Day Camp Counselors work collaboratively to implement programming and create a positive learning experience that supports Hidden Villa’s mission.
- Participate in all-staff training with hours ranging from 7am-9pm with one overnight required.
- Participate in mid-summer In-Service Training.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of all campers in your group.
- Design and teach age-appropriate activities to groups of campers four or more times during the week.
- Be a role model for each camper in your group.
- Create a fun and exciting camp experience for children in your charge.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for discussion of individual or group problems or concerns.
- Work with Day Camp Supervisors when there are camper adjustment or discipline problems.
- Provide opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success during camp.
- 10. Sleep on-site, with campers, every Thursday night when Day Camp is in session.
- Act as a mentor to LITs and CITs as they transition into staff positions mid-summer.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
- Ability to communicate and work with campers and staff in the program to which you are assigned, and provide necessary instruction to campers.
- Abilities to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities.
- Physical ability to safely supervise farm chores and wilderness hikes.
- Desire and ability to work with children ages 4-16 in an outdoor setting
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance and implement changes
- Excellent communication skills
- Current CPR, First Aid, and CA Food Handler certifications; or willing to obtain
- Ability to teach and lead activities
- Ability to mentor Youth Leadership campers
- At least 18 years of age
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to utilize youth work appropriate self-care techniques
- Desire to learn and grow
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Benefits: $445 per week + experience. Camping Space & meals provided.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application here.
Login/Make an account
Click Make a Reservation