Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Residential Counselor. Hidden Villa is a non-profit, public benefit corporation with a 60-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
Position Title: Residential Counselor
Reports to: Unit Leaders, Program Coordinator, Camp Director
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Exempt
Under the supervision of the Unit Leaders or Program Coordinators, Residential Counselors work collaboratively to implement their residential program and create positive learning opportunities that support Hidden Villa’s Mission. The Residential program is comprised of three grade cohorts, Outdoor Innovators 4th & 5th, Residential Community Camp 5th to 7th and Farm & Wilderness 8thto 10th. Residential Counselors are hired to work in a particular cohort for the duration of the summer. There may be occasions when you are asked to work with a different cohort as needed.
- Participate in all-staff training and mid-summer In-service Training.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of all campers in your group.
- Be a role model for each camper in your group.
- Design and teach/co-teach age-appropriate activities to groups of campers.
- Collaborate on leading and co-leading morning reflections and evening activities with all participants in your camp program.
- Work with Unit Leader/Program Coordinator/Director when there are camper adjustment or discipline problems.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for discussion of individual or group problems or concerns
- Provide opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success during camp
- Sleep on-site in your assigned program area when camp is in session; unless on a scheduled 24 hour break.
- Act as a mentor to LITs/CITS as they transition into staff positions mid-summer.
- Participate in scheduling for your program prior to the start of each new session.
- Follow the schedule for your program as written by Unit Leaders, Program Coordinators, or Director.
- Monitor and interact with campers during meals and all unstructured time.
- Be available in sleeping area at night to support campers.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
- Ability to communicate and work with campers and staff in the program to which you are assigned, and provide necessary instruction to campers.
- Abilities to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities.
- Physical ability to safely supervise farm chores and wilderness hikes.
- Desire and ability to work with children between the ages of 9-15 in a residential outdoor setting
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance and implement changes
- Excellent communication skills
- Current CPR, First Aid, and CA Food Handler certifications; or willing to obtain
- Ability teach and/or lead an activity
- Ability to mentor Youth Leadership campers
- At least 18 years of age for Outdoor Innovators & Residential Community Camp; at least 19 for Farm & Wilderness program
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to utilize youth work appropriate self-care techniques
- Desire to learn and grow
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Benefits: $470 per week + experience. Outdoor living space & meals provided.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application here.
Login/Make an account
Click Make a Reservation