We develop young leaders committed to social and environmental justice and equipped with a sense of awe for natural and human beauty, tools for non-violent multicultural community building, and the confidence to make positive change in our families, communities, and the world.
Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for theposition of Seasonal Assistant Camp Director. Hidden Villa is a non-profit organization with a 75-year history, focusing onenvironmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provideopportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres ofopen space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
Position Title: Seasonal Assistant Camp Director
Reports to: Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Exempt
The Seasonal Assistant Camp Director is part of the Leadership Team for the preparation and implementation of the Summer Camp program and will focus primarily on oversight of Hidden Villa’s Day Camp program. This person will be responsible for serving the mission and assisting in the implementation of a quality, safe, and fun summer program. This position conducts training of camp staff in collaboration with other supervisors, supports the overall operation of the summer program, and models a high level of professionalism for the seasonal staff.
How to Apply
Please fill out this form to apply.
1. Function as part of the leadership team to implement all Summer Camp operations.
2. Implement Leadership Team and All Staff Training in cooperation with Camp Directors/Coordinators.
3. Support Camp Directors with various office-based responsibilities and take a leading role in check-in and check-out days.
4. Observe and Conduct written evaluations of Program Coordinators and provide coaching as necessary.
5. Implement policies and procedures; monitor safety and ensure adherence to policies as they pertain to thesupervision of campers and staff.
6. Work with Camp Director, parents, and Program Coordinators when there are camper adjustment or disciplineproblems.
7. Be available to provide Program Coordinators support with their program.
8. Be present in the program and promote a camper centric and collaborative atmosphere.
9. Help promote an atmosphere for developing good morale and well-being among the camp staff.
10. Supervise risk and safety for all of the camp.
11. Supervise evening programs and activities; providing support and ensuring mission focus.12. Respond in a leadership role during emergency situations.
13. Participate in on-call rotation with emergency phone/radio.
14. These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
1. Ability to communicate and work with staff and provide necessary instruction.
2. Abilities to observe staff behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities.
4. Physical strength required to lift 40 lbs. and respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
Experience with supervising and training staff and ability to assess skill levels necessary to lead activities is required.
- Ability to observe camper & staff behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and respond to emergencies calmly, as well as the ability to apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- A self-starter able to work independently, calmly and maintain attention to detail under pressure and shifting priorities.
- Experience working with young adults to motivate and inspire with professionalism. Previous camp staff/environmental educator experience in a supervisory role.
- Experience and ability to maintain confidentiality in matters of sensitivity.
- Ability to develop and teach workshops.
- Ability to provide feedback consistent with creating a growth-minded culture.
- Ability to coach and give feedback to a diverse staff and age range of campers.
- Experience responding to emergency situations
- Current CPR, First Aid, and CA Food Handler certifications
- Computer literate with a proficiency in MS Office programs, G suite, and database applications. Must be willing to live on-site during summer with limited privacy.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and clean driving record for light driving.
- At least 21 years of age
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Terms of Employment
Benefits: $1,050 per week + experience. Housing and Meals provided. Dates of employment are May 22nd through July 30th.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.