Hidden Villa Summer Camp develops young leaders who are committed to social and environmental justice and are equipped with a sense of awe for natural and human beauty, tools for non-violent, multicultural community building, as well as the confidence to make positive change in our families, communities, and world.
Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Camp Unit Leader. Hidden Villa is a non-profit organization with a 75-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
About the Position
Position Title: Camp Unit Leader
Reports to: Assistant Camp Director, Camp Director
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Exempt
Responsible under the supervision of the Assistant Camp Director for managing the camper cohorts which includes supervising counselor staff and all campers in that program. Unit Leaders also serve as part of the all camp leadership team and are responsible for modeling a high level of professionalism.
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
- Ability to train and supervise staff and assess ability and skill levels appropriate to lead activities.
- Abilities to observe camper and staff behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp.
- Previous camp staff experience; prefer experience in leadership or supervision
- Current CPR, First Aid, and CA Food Handler certifications; or willing to obtain
- Ability to creatively schedule programs, facilities and staff
- Ability to coach and give feedback to a diverse staff
- Excellent communication skills and initiative
- Desire experience and ability to working with children in an outdoor setting
- Strong interest in developing camp programs
- At least 21 years of age
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to utilize youth work appropriate self-care techniques
- Be an active leader in all staff training.
- Supervise all staff in your unit and the overall operation of your program.
- Ensure that all ACA regulations concerning program area are adhered to, including supervision ratios.
- Oversee scheduling of activities for each camp session and ensure sufficient staffing for each time block.
- Coordinate time off for staff in your camp.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all campers and staff in your program.
- Model enthusiastic and positive participation in program and with youth.
- Provide regular feedback to staff and encourage a growth minded culture. Conduct written and oral evaluations of staff midsummer and at the end of summer.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with parents/guardians as needed.
- Work with Assistant Camp Director and camp admissions staff to ensure a smooth and safe camper check-in and check-out process.
- Sleep on-site in assigned living space.
- Produce a written report at the end of the summer.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
Terms of Employment
Benefits: $580-600 per week + experience. Shared housing and meals provided.
Duration: Contract starts May 23rd, 2022 and ends August 14th, 2022.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. This position will require the use of a bow with a 15-25 pound draw weight.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Please fill out this form to apply.