Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the
position of Day Camp Unit Leader. Hidden Villa is a non-profit, public benefit corporation with a 60-year
history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to
teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches
over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San
Position Title: Day Camp Unit Leader
Reports to: Day Camp Coordinator, Camp Director
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Exempt
Responsible under the supervision of the day camp coordinator for managing Day Camp Grades K-2 or
3-6 which includes supervising counseling staff, Leaders/Counselors in Training, and all campers in that
program. Unit Leaders also serve as part of the all camp leadership team and are responsible for
modeling a high level of professionalism.
1. Attend Leadership Training and be an active leader in All Staff Training.
2. Train the staff in your program on specific program operation and teaching techniques for your camp.
3. Supervise all staff in your camp and the overall operation of program.
4. Ensure that all ACA regulations concerning program area are adhered to, including supervision ratios.
5. Oversee scheduling of activities for each camp session and ensure sufficient staffing for each time
6. Coordinate time off for staff in your camp.
7. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all campers and staff in your program.
8. Model enthusiastic and positive participation in program and with youth.
9. Provide regular feedback to staff and encourage a growth minded culture. Conduct written and oral
evaluations of staff midsummer and at the end of summer.
10. Work with the Directors when there are staff or camper problems.
11. Communicate clearly and effectively with parents/guardians as needed.
12. Work with Day Camp Coordinator and camp admissions staff to ensure smooth and safe camper
check-in and check-out process.
13. Sleep on-site in assigned living space; unless on scheduled 24 hour break.
14. Incorporate Leaders/Counselors in Training into your program with on the job training and mentoring.
15. Serve as a member of the all camp leadership team.
16. Produce a written report at the end of the summer.
17. These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned
1. Ability to train and supervise staff and assess ability and skill levels appropriate to lead activities.
2. Abilities to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations
and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to
● Previous camp staff experience; prefer experience in leadership or supervision
● Current CPR, First Aid, and CA Food Handler certifications; or willing to obtain
● Ability to creatively schedule programs, facilities and staff
● Ability to coach and give feedback to a diverse staff
● Excellent communication and initiative skills
● Desire and ability to work with children in an outdoor setting
● Strong interest in developing camp programs
● At least 21 years of age
● Flexibility and patience
● Ability to utilize youth work appropriate self-care techniques
● Desire to learn and grow
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee isexposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually
moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Benefits: $485 per week + experience. Shared housing and meals provided.
Round 1 Deadline: February 7th
Round 2 Deadline: March 9th
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an
inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application here.
Login/Make an account
Click Make a Reservation