Hidden Villa is a non-profit, public benefit corporation with a 60-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Our vision is a sustainable, healthy, and just future for all. Our mission is to foster educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. Our educational programs are designed to inspire people of all ages to be stewards and caretakers of the environment and each other.
About the Position
Hidden Villa is seeking a detail-oriented, collaborative, and tech-savvy individual for the organization's accounting functions. This role, which reports to the Associate Director, creates budgets, handles the annual audit, and is responsible for the monthly reporting and close process, including processing revenue from multiple sources; supervises/provides backup for the Staff Accountant, who handles payroll, cash management, accounts payable, and the finance interface with HR. The ideal candidate has experience with nonprofit accounting, strong analytical and interpersonal skills, and a strong understanding of the use of technology solutions for finance.
- Budgeting - lead collaborative budget process with departmental managers
- Audit and Tax Compliance - lead annual audit and all compliance matters
- Monthly Close Process and Reporting - lead monthly close process and financial reporting
- Supervise Staff Accountant and serve as their backup on payroll, accounts payable, cash management.
- Fundraising Support - act as thought leader for Development department staff, review new donations for conditions and restrictions, develop grant budgets and provide grant spending reports, release funds as restrictions are met
- General Financial Duties, including maintaining policies, procedures and document storage according to best practices, support Associate Director with insurance renewals, certain retirement and unemployment plan management duties
- Technology - act as resident expert on financial data management and integrations; implement new technology systems or improvements in payroll, accounts payable and expenses, banking, budgeting, etc
- Community and Collaboration - build collaborative working relationships with staff and board; participate actively in staff and managers meetings and certain board and board committee meetings
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
- Minimum of BA; CPA and/or MBA desired
- 5 years experience in progressively responsible finance positions including 2 years management experience required.
- Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations.
- Experience creating and promoting a positive and supportive work environment while facing deadlines. Experience working in highly collaborative environments. Personal qualities of integrity and credibility.
- Technology savvy and advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software. Experience with the import/export of data from other software into QuickBooks Online. Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting. Attention to detail.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance staff. Ability to exercise good judgment during times of ambiguity.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
- Commitment to Hidden Villa’s mission. High emotional intelligence; inspires others to bring their best selves to the table.
Terms of Employment
Hidden Villa is committed to diversity in our workplace and our programs. It is an integral part of our culture. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected category.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds and perform standard office work. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, sit, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess or be able to acquire a valid driver’s license.
All applicants will be required to do Live Scan fingerprinting before hire.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and references to [email protected]
What Hidden Villa Can Offer the Candidate
Benefits: Hidden Villa provides an excellent benefit package that includes vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, vision, acupuncture/chiropractic and retirement benefits.
Salary: $72,000-76,000 DOE