Hidden Villa is a non-profit, public benefit corporation with a 60-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Our vision is a sustainable, healthy, and just future for all. Our mission is to foster educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. Our educational programs are designed to inspire people of all ages to be stewards and caretakers of the environment and each other.
Terms of Employment
This position is a full-time, non-exempt position. Compensation is $19.50-$21/hr, and 1-bedroom on-site studio. This position is eligible for Hidden Villa benefits. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment. All applicants will be required to do Live Scan fingerprinting before hire.
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push, pull, and lift items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
Hidden Villa is committed to diversity in our workplace and our programs. It is an integral part of our culture. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected category.
About the Position
Position Title: Animal Husbandry Assistant Manager
Reports to: Animal Husbandry Manager
Department: Animal Husbandry
Working Hours: 40 hours per week, 7:30am-4:30pm (1 hour lunch) M-F (some extended hours and weekend hours required at times)
Benefits: Hidden Villa provides an excellent benefit package that includes vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, vision, acupuncture/chiropractic and retirement benefits.
General responsibilities: The general responsibility of this position is to work under the supervision of the Animal Husbandry Manager. The Assistant Manager will help in all aspects of livestock management, including breeding, nutrition, health care, facilities maintenance, slaughter, processing, and direct market sales. Hidden Villa’s animal team currently cares for 1 dairy cow, 3 goats, 10 sheep, 3 pigs, ~200 laying hens. We process ~60 meat chickens monthly, and ~20 lambs, 15-20 pigs, and ~60 turkeys annually. The position will also include opportunities to educate the public, both children and adults, on topics related to regenerative livestock management and food systems.
This is a residential position.
- Work cooperatively with the Animal Husbandry Manager to coordinate all livestock related work.
- Shape land management strategies with the Animal Husbandry Manager that are adaptive to the needs of the land and animals.
- Manage online store sales and marketing with a particular emphasis on expanding reach and improving customer experience and connection.
- Work with Animal Husbandry Manager to create cross-departmental training for interns, volunteers, and staff.
- Support strategic initiative work related to food systems and food justice.
- Work with Communications to generate food and livestock specific content with the goal of increasing community engagement with our food system.
- Perform basic ranch maintenance tasks and repairs.
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
- At least 1 year of experience with livestock management and a basic understanding of the principles of regenerative agriculture.
- Willingness to work independently, outdoors, and in physically demanding situations.
DESIRABLE SKILLS & INTERESTS
- Experience operating a tractor and driving a livestock trailer.
- Basic understanding of construction, power-tool usage, and utilities (water/electric).
- Experience with animal slaughter, especially poultry.
- Interest in experiential learning and an ability to work with a diverse group of children and adults.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and references to [email protected].