Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Ropes Course Specialist. Hidden Villa is a non-profit organization with a 75-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
Position Title: Ropes Course Specialist
Reports to: Youth Development Manager
Ropes Course Specialists will facilitate the use of our challenge course, with occasional support of other activities including archery. The Rope Course Specialist will also coordinate the use and distribution of supplies and materials for the ropes course and archery range, including inventory, care, and cleaning. Additionally, they will train staff and campers on the safe operation and use of the challenge course according to ACA best practices.
- 17+ yrs of age and have graduated high school OR 18+ yrs of age to apply (no exceptions)
- Will be required to wear mask/face covering while on duty
- Sleep outside, under the stars for the whole summer at Hidden Villa
- We will request all staff to receive COVID-19 testing throughout the summer (provided by Hidden Villa)
- We are unable to support J1-VISA international applicants this year (please check back in 2022)
- Must support our health and safety culture by practicing social distancing at camp
- Meals provided for the entire summer at Hidden Villa by Epicurean Group (includes weekends/time-off)
1. Continuously provide programming in your assigned space that relates to Hidden Villa Summer Camp’s mission.
2. Facilitate the operation of the challenge course..
3. Ensure that all American Camp Association regulations concerning program area are adhered to, including supervision ratios.
4. Submit requests for orders for any necessary equipment or supplies, ensuring timely arrival of materials.
5. Write up activities and keep them in the Outdoor Activities Specialist google drive.
6. Maintain proper care of all ropes course and archery equipment.
7. Submit a written report at the conclusion of the summer evaluating the current season and making suggestions for the following season.
8. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
9. These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
1. Ability to communicate and work with groups of all ages and skills levels participating, and provide necessary instruction and communication of safety procedures to staff and
2. Ability to observe camper and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce
safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate
3. Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and implement activities to achieve
camper development objectives.
4. Ability to belay participants while climbing on our challenge course.
5. Live on site.
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
● Documented experience with High and Low ropes course; belay experience required
● Ability to train staff on challenge course operation
● Ability to maintain records and necessary administrative tasks as they relate to the equipment
● Ability to work well with peers in a team environment with little supervision
● Desire and ability to work with youth in an outdoor setting
● Current First Aid and CPR certifications preferred
● Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record (no major infractions) required.
● At least 18 years of age
● Flexibility and patience
●Ability to use given time off to take care of personal needs
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Terms of Employment
Benefits: $540-560 per week + experience. Shared housing and meals provided. Contract starts June 1st 2021 and ends August 10th 2021.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.
How to Apply
Fill out the application HERE.