Title: Senior Manager of Education
Reports to: Senior Director of Programs
This is an Exempt position.
About the Position
When you work for Hidden Villa, you become a part of something BIG: a nonprofit organization with over 60 years of service delivery bringing diverse people together to learn and grow towards a sustainable, healthy, and just future for all. Founded in 1960, Hidden Villa empowers young people with the skills, experience, and tools to build solutions for climate change, food security, and an inclusive society.
Our vision is a sustainable, healthy, and just future for all.
Our mission is to foster educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another.
Our values are: Access, Community, Exploration, and Stewardship.
All voices are needed at Hidden Villa. We want our team to reflect the diversity of our community builders and participants. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our staff. Every new member of the Hidden Villa team is an opportunity for us to introduce fresh perspectives, talent, and skills into our workforce and our communities. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), People with Disabilities, People from the LGBTQ+ communities are all encouraged to apply for our open positions! Our vision, in part, is for a fair and equitable workplace, where diversity is celebrated and can truly flourish. We recognize we have a ways to go and a lot to learn.
Hidden Villa is seeking a creative, collaborative leader who is growth and solutions oriented for the Senior Manager of Education. The Senior Manager of Education reports to the Senior Director of Programs and provides strategic leadership and operational oversight for the pre-K through 12th grade environmental education, challenge education, and leadership development programming of Hidden Villa. Hidden Villa has over 50 years of providing experiential, place-based learning opportunities that focus on building connections with food & farms, wilderness exploration & environmental stewardship and environmental and social justice. The Senior Manager works closely with the Senior Director of Programs and other program managers to deliver high quality experiences that connect participants to Climate Change Mitigation, Healthy Local Food Systems, An Antiracist and Just Society and Place-Based Outdoor Education for all.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Recruit, hire, and supervise full-time education staff, and interns
- Foster a sense of community and belonging amongst education staff and work towards creating equity within Hidden Villa systems, structures and relationships
- Create and manage a year round budget with an eye towards growth and access
- Design, research and implement training and professional development opportunities for staff, interns and volunteers
- Oversee the annual design of programmatic offerings for pre-K – 12th grade participants during the school year
- Research and provide connections to relevant professional development for education staff
- Represent Hidden Villa Education programs within the community, board and industry networks
- Oversee risk mitigation and management for all school-year programs, program areas and participants
- Oversee the creation, implementation and collection of programmatic evaluations and demographic data collection
- Establish and maintain ongoing partnerships that deepen program participants’ connection to Hidden Villa and provide access to programming for underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Support communications & program coordination with clients, teacher and other community participants
- Provide strategic oversight of marketing and outreach efforts for educational programming
- Review, update and design curriculum and programmatic changes that meet the organizations outcome and impact goals in collaboration with education team
- Support volunteer recruitment, training and retention efforts in collaboration with the education team
- Work closely with the Internship Manager to support the learning experience of education interns
- Work cross-departmentally to support organizational communications, mutual goals and strategic planning
- Work closely with Senior Director of Programs and Development Department to design cases for funding support
- Other duties as assigned
Some combination of these desired qualifications will be considered; We encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and differently abled and experienced individuals to apply.
- 2-5 years of supervisory experience or mentorship responsibility
- Degree, knowledge or passion for environmental sciences, life sciences, or other relevant subject matter
- Experience or relevant degree in education, youth development, teaching or coaching
- Experience working with diverse communities and audiences and commitment to equity and access
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about California wildlife and ecosystems
- Knowledge and understanding of larger Bay area communities, needs and opportunities
- Experience in social-emotional learning, challenge course education and group dynamics
- Familiarity with Next Generation Science Standards, Common Core and Environmental Literacy curriculum
- Experience with strategic program management including logic models and evaluations
- Ability to exercise judgment in a position of responsibility and to work without direct supervision.
- Highly organized and capable of creating effective, efficient systems
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Suite programs and database applications
- Valid California driver’s license, clean driving record; CPR & First Aid certified or willing to obtain
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds and comfortable entering pens with farm animals
Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
Terms of Employment
This is an average 40 hours/week, exempt position. Workdays are Monday through Friday. Occasionally weekend or evening shifts will be required to support organization/board events. $72,000 annual salary. Hidden Villa provides a benefit package that includes vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, vision, acupuncture/chiropractic and retirement benefits.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter, or answers to the questions below, to [email protected]
- What about this position, specifically at Hidden Villa interests you?
- What experience, skills or knowledge do you have that would make you a good fit for this position?
- How would you describe the value of this kind of education work?
Application deadline is June 3rd, 2022.