Hidden Villa Summer Camp develops young leaders who are committed to social and environmental justice and are equipped with a sense of awe for natural and human beauty, tools for non-violent, multicultural community building, as well as the confidence to make positive change in our families, communities, and world.
Hidden Villa Farm and Wilderness Preserve is seeking an energetic, responsible team player for the position of Activity Specialist. Hidden Villa is a non-profit organization with a 75-year history, focusing on environmental education. We use our organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.
- 17+ yrs of age to apply (no exceptions)
- 17 year olds must have completed high school by June 1, 2021
- Must be available to work for the entire summer
- Will be required to wear mask/face covering while on duty
- Sleep outside, under the stars for the whole summer at Hidden Villa
- We will request all staff to receive COVID-19 testing throughout the summer (provided by Hidden Villa)
- We are unable to support J1-VISA international applicants this year (please check back in 2022)
- Must support our health and safety culture by practicing social distancing at camp
- Meals provided for the entire summer at Hidden Villa by Epicurean Group (includes weekends/time-off)
How to Apply
Login or create an account here and make a reservation.
Staff hired in 2020 or former camp staff (does not include CITs/LITs) should select the Returning Staff Application.
New applicants and former CITs/LITs (who have not worked a full season at camp) please select the New Staff Application.
About the Position
Position Title: Activity Specialist
Reports to: Youth Development Manager
Activity Specialists will facilitate the use of our challenge course, animal chores and other activities. Specialists will also coordinate the use and distribution of supplies and materials for these spaces, including inventory, care, and cleaning. Additionally they will train staff and campers on the safe operation and use of the challenge course and animal pens according to ACA best practices.
Desired Experience/ Qualifications
- Ability to communicate and work with groups of all ages and skills levels participating, and provide necessary instruction and communication of safety procedures to staff and campers.
- Ability to observe camper and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and implement activities to achieve camper development objectives.
- Ability to belay participants while climbing on our challenge course.
- Live on site.
- Documented experience with High and Low ropes course; belay experience required
- Additional experience with farm animals preferred
- Ability to train staff on challenge course operation as well as animal safety protocols
- Ability to maintain records and necessary administrative tasks as they relate to the equipment
- Ability to work well with peers in a team environment with little supervision
- Desire and ability to work with youth in an outdoor setting
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record (no major infractions) required
- At least 18 years of age
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to use given time off to take care of personal needs
- Continuously provide programming in your assigned space that relates to Hidden Villa Summer Camp’s mission.
- Facilitate the operation of the challenge course and animal-camper interactions.
- Ensure that all American Camp Association regulations concerning program area are adhered to, including supervision ratios.
- Submit requests for orders for any necessary equipment or supplies, ensuring timely arrival of materials.
- Write up activities and keep them in the Outdoor Activities Specialist Google Drive.
- Submit a written report at the conclusion of the summer evaluating the current season and making suggestions for the following season.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and others assigned as required.
Terms of Employment
Benefits: $540-560 per week + experience. Shared housing and meals provided.
Duration: Contract starts June 1st, 2021 and ends August 10th, 2021.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in an outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand; walk up to 7 miles on uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Hidden Villa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and campers.