Students will watch this educational video which shows how deer change their environment. Afterwords engage students further learning and check comprehension with supplemental questions.
How Deer Affect Trees (PDF) Lesson Plan
1. How can a tree tell use how tall a deer is?
2. Do deer eat every kind of leaf? (No, they don't like all trees and bushes)
3. Have you ever seen an animal change the environment/place around them? (Such as a dog digging a hole)
4. What are some ways a deer changes a tree?
5. What are some ways a deer changes a forest?
6. Are deer bad because they eat healthy trees?
K-ESS2-2 Earth's Systems
Students who demonstrate understanding can: Construct an argument supported by evidence for how plants and animals (including humans) can change the environment to meet their needs.
Disciplinary Core Ideas ESS2.E: Biogeology
Plants and animals can change their environment.
Crosscutting Concepts: Systems and System Models
Systems in the Natural and designed world have parts that work together.
Science and Engineering Practices: Engaging in Argument from Evidence
Engaging in argument from evidence in K-2 builds on prior experiences and progresses to comparing ideas and representations about the natural and designed world(s). Construct an argument with evidence to support a claim.