Students will watch a short informative video giving great of how plants grow and depend on water and light.
How to Keep Plants Healthy (PDF) Lesson Plan
1. What do plants need to survive and grow?
2. In the pictures of the garden, what difference do you notice? Why are there these differences?
3. How many hours and minutes of sunlight did Hidden Villa have on January 30? And how much sunlight on April 16?
4. Was there a greater chance of rain in January or April?
5. What kind of plants grow in the winter where you live? How about in the spring?
2-LS2-1 Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
Students who demonstrate understanding can: Plan and conduct an investigation to determine if plants need sunlight and water to grow.
Disciplinary Core Ideas LS2.A: Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems
Plants depend on water and light to grow
Crosscutting Concepts: Cause and Effect
Events have causes that generate observable patterns.
Science and Engineering Practices: Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
Planning and carrying out investigations to answer questions or test solutions to problems in K-2 builds on prior experiences and progresses to simple investigations, based on fair tests which provide data to support explanations or design solutions. Plan and conduct an investigation collaboratively to produce data to serve as the basis for evidence to answer a question.